Hello Lover, On This Blog Lets Talk About why you should Exfoliate/Scrub the Skin
First of all, do you know that the skin sheds off thousands of dead skin cells over Time? Dead skin cells can shed through the normal daily activities we engage in like standing, pulling off our clothes, walking, etc.
Though you can't see it happening, every minute of the day we lose about 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells off the surface of our skin, (don't be scared hahaha) Because Your epidermis is always making new skin cells to rise to the top to replace the old ones. Most of the cells in your epidermis (95%) work to make new skin cells.
What is exfoliation?
Exfoliation is the process through which we get rid of these dead cells from the upper layer of the skin, For New skin cell to be seen (this allow your skin glow and feel smooth/softer)
What is a Scrub
A scrub is a cream-based skincare product that contains tiny exfoliating particles. When you massage a scrub across the skin, it helps to smooth the skin by removing dry, dead skin cells. When you are choosing a scrub, it is better to choose a scrub with artificial grains like Walnut grains, jojoba beads, Dont use like sea salt scrub if you have sensitive and acne-prone skin, because it may cause irritations.
Similarities Between Scrub and Exfoliator
- Scrubs and exfoliators are skincare products that remove dead skin cells on the skin’s outermost surface and clean pores on the skin, which are clogged by impurities.
- moreover, the both can help you to have softer skin, lighten skin, fade acne scars, and improve skin texture.
There are Different Types of exfoliation
There are two basic ways to exfoliate. These include Using the Mechanical/Physical method OR the Chemical method.
Mechanical or physical Method: this method is when using a tool, most times objects with slightly rough surfaces to slough off dead cells from the surface of the skin.
This can include sponge, washcloth, face/body scrub,facial cleansing brush etc.
P.S In addition, body brushes, loofahs, pumice stones, also exfoliating mitts are some other tools that help in physical exfoliating
Chemical method: involves the use of chemicals to get rid of dead skin cells.
These are 2 types of chemical exfoliation (you will need a professional for this Method)
AHA ( Alpha hydroxy acid) : This is derived from sugary fruits. They work mostly by working on the top layer of the skin and gently peels off the dead skin cells.
BHA ( Beta hydroxy acid) : BHAs are oil soluble. This makes them go deep into the skin pores. They have the ability to decongest the pores, while simultaneously fighting the bacteria that can cause acne.
What happens to the skin when you exfoliate ?
- The skin becomes unclogged, giving no room for bacteria to breed
- It boosts circulation and lymphatic drainage
- It gives a more even skin tone
- It allows your products to penetrate deeper and work faster
- It increases skin cell turnover
- It gives the skin a smooth and soft texture
- It stimulates collagen synthesis which is very good because it strengthens the skin elasticity, making it look and feel younger
- It prevents acne, whiteheads, blackheads and other blemishes
What happens to the skin when you don’t exfoliate at all or over time?
- Dead skin cells pile up causing an uneven skin tone
- Acne-causing bacteria will have a breeding space
- Whiteheads and blackheads may develop
- The skin feels rough to touch
- The skin looks dull and off
you dont wants all these on the skin, hence exfoliation is important.
Exfoliation is advisably done twice a week, as daily exfoliation can damage the skin, cause irritation, breakouts and make the skin too sensitive to touch.
P.S Please always talk to your dermatologist or skin professional before doing chemical exfoliation at home,
know your skin type and get the right scrub for your skin.
We have different Scrub you can choose from.....Our Radiance exfoliating scrub is very recommended for sensitive and acne prone skin
The main difference between our scrub is that Radiance scrub is a cream-based and mild, while arabica coffee scrub is made with sea salt and coffee (recommended for very stubborn skin.
Radiance Scrub Coffee Scrub